Gym Membership: Do I Really Need It?
“I do not need a gym membership to get into shape, I can do it all on my own!” is a sentence worthy of applause, as it shows confidence and determination. But, it is also rash. Yes, nobody says you have to take swimming lessons at a gym, nor that the only way to enjoy the perks of exercising in water is at an indoor pool in Pacific Beach. You seem to have solved the “exercise indoors or outdoors” conundrum pretty quickly.
But, let’s get back to the “rash” part. Although it may seem that paying a gym membership in order to work out is a waste of money, have you really taken the time to slowly and calmly make a pros and cons list? Well, if you haven’t, we’re here to do it for you.
Do I need to go to a gym to get fit?
Lately, there have been many reports about how people don’t need gyms to get fit anymore, how all you have to do is run outside and make the world your workout oyster. And, while there are some valid claims to this, most primarily the fresh air and beautiful scenery, there are some untrue ones as well.
- Train anywhere, anytime – In theory, yes, but do you really want the judging looks on you as you go for a run around your apartment building? While it’s not exactly this extreme, exercising outside a gym still entails doing so at specified locations or nature. And, at home, your possibilities are even more limited.
- Variety – Yes, you’ll have potential variety of scenery, but variety of exercising equipment? Probably not. This becomes all the more important if you choose to work out at home.
- Progress-tracking – People say that it is completely doable to track your own progress. And it is, you can certainly do it alone. But, when you have a professional tracking your progress for you, it is a lot easier to know what areas to focus on, and what areas are going great.
- It’s cheaper – It is, unless you think about it more carefully. If you plan on working out at home, you have to buy equipment. If you plan on exercising in nature, you still need money for petrol, bus fare, or taxi. Whereas, if you opt for a nearby gym, you get all the equipment, you don’t need transportation, and you receive professional guidance.
Are gym memberships worth it?
Gym memberships definitely are worth it, and there are many reasons why it is so. Here are just some of the most important ones that will help you see just how great gyms can be.
- Equipment – Gyms have everything you need, even more.
- Amenities – Taking a shower or going to a sauna s a big plus for gyms.
- People – it is the other people exercising beside you that push you beyond your limit.
- Trainers – Professionals can greatly help with your exercising endeavors.
- Classes – Organized fitness or aerobic classes cannot be found outside of gyms.
- Atmosphere – Gyms are for working out. Period.
There are many more reasons why it is worth paying a gym membership, but it would take too long to list them all. However, there is one prerequisite of paying a gym membership, one that is even more important than all the urging of the San Diego Institute for Public Health for regular exercise, and it’s your willingness to visit a gym.
If you plan on hitting the gym once a week, don’t pay the membership, you’re only wasting your money. You won’t see any results, you won’t have continuity, and you’ll be lying to yourself. However, if you do plan on going regularly, then a gym membership is definitely worth it.
How do I choose the best gym?
Choosing a gym is easier than you might think, but there are still some boxes to think if you truly want to find the perfect gym for you.
- Vicinity – The closer, the better.
- Hours of operation – You need a gym where you can work out at any time that suits you.
- Hygiene – You want a gym that’s clean.
- Machines – You want equipment that suits your needs.
- Amenities – If you expect a pool or a sauna from your gym, then find one that has them.
- Personal training – Inquire about the options and the possibilities for potential personal training.
- Privileges – Ask what kind of perks do you reap as a member.
- Money – You can’t afford to break the bank.
- Personnel – Choose a gym with pleasant staff.
“So, what is the best gym in Pacific Beach?”
If we had to choose one, we’d say it Fit Athletic. The professionals working there are top-notch, the locations are stellar, the equipment state-of-the-art, and the atmosphere amazing. It even offers such amenities in Pacific Beach as an indoor pool. Fit Athletic has absolutely everything you will ever need from a gym. Visit us if you’re ever headed to Fanuel Street Park and see for yourself!
Subscribe To The Fit Blog
Monthly articles for a Fit lifestyle, straight to your inbox.