How Do I Maximize My Workout Results?
So, you’re looking to completely max out your workout results? You’d like to get fit and toned, but you’re unsure whether you should follow the most popular fitness trends as the best way to lose weight quickly?
Whichever workout routine you choose to dedicate your time to, be it a “classic” gym, or a Little Italy fitness club, there are ways in which you can maximize your workout gains. Let’s see what they are.
How can I make my workout more effective?
Working out on a regular basis, as the San Diego Institute for Public Health states, is something all of us should try to do. But, sometimes, exercising doesn’t yield expected results. Perhaps you’re doing something wrong? Don’t worry, we’ll give you some advice on how to maximize your workout routine.
The more time you spend at the gym the better? Not really. You’ll get maximum benefits after thirty or forty minutes, with high intensity. Any more than that – the intensity lowers, and the gains decrease.
If you’re a beginner, or if you’re just trying out a new exercise, by all means, take it slow. In all other instances, try to do every exercise with as much intensity as you can, in order to boost effectiveness.
Your muscles need protein in order to grow and rebuild, and modifying your diet to increase protein intake can be just as important as working out.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! However, never drink plenty of water right before exercising. Not only will you feel uneasy, but the body also needs some time to absorb all the water, making it ineffective to drink a lot at once.
Your body needs fuel, and contrary to popular belief, carbs are not the enemy, but a great source of energy. Bananas are a great choice, just don’t overdo it.
Stretch your entire body well before and after working out. This will prepare your body for the session, but also loose all the muscles after it, making the entire effort easier and more fruitful.
Or rather lack of it is important for a good workout session. Don’t just rush through the lift, take it slowly. This maximizes the effectiveness of the weight lifting greatly, especially when the motions are correct.
Again, in the beginning, stick to low weights. But, as your form increases, so should the weight. The more weight you lift, while keeping the form good, the more you will gain from every rep.
- Single set
Many people make the mistake of doing multiple sets with lower weights. Instead, take on greater weights, and perform single sets to failure, with proper form.
- Compound exercises
Don’t separate your exercises per muscle group. Do exercises that target multiple muscle groups simultaneously. This way, you’ll get a full-body workout more quickly.
- Mix it up
When you stick with the same workout routine for too long, your body will adjust to it and the gain will keep on decreasing. By mixing it up, you’re always keeping your body on its toes.
Never skip cardio. But, we’re not talking about just that. Do cardio that you’ll enjoy doing. So, if you don’t like running, go swimming and that’s it!
Finally, if your cardio of choice is walking, running, or biking, be sure to incorporate hills, as doing these kinds of cardio only on level ground is much less effective.
How do you get the best results from the gym?
Rather than giving you some more advice on how to get more out of your every gym visit, we’re going to point out some common mistakes all of us have made when frequenting the gym, only so you don’t have to repeat them.
- Socializing – Having a friendly chat at the gym can motivate you to do better, but overindulging in the social component can leave you less efficient during your gym hours.
- Calories – Don’t rely too much on the calorie burn the machine is telling you you’ve achieved. Those numbers are highly general, and while the machine says you’ve burned 1000 calories, the truth is that you might have only burned 500.
- Technique – OK, so you’ve done 15 reps with heavy weights, but have you done it properly? Exercising with improper technique can seriously lower the effectiveness of your workout.
- Too soon – Having enthusiasm for exercising is great and all, but you mustn’t overdo it in the beginning. Pushing your body too hard too soon can leave you open for injuries and soreness, and that will just slow down your progress down even further.
- Cardio – The most common mistake when doing cardio is that you focus on your lower body, and neglect your upper body. This is especially true for treadmills, stair steppers, and stationary bikes.
- Plan – Don’t just waltz into the gym and start improvising. You need to have a plan in order to make your every visit to the gym as effective as it can be.
- Professionals – Gym staff is there for a reason, so don’t be afraid to ask them for help, as they will explain everything you need to know and make it easier for you to exercise properly.
- Eccentricity – Don’t just stick to the regular workout methods and routines. Every now and again it is wise to put your body through an unusual exercise and to keep it as interesting as possible.
- Direction – When doing cardio, change the direction every once in a while. Don’t just keep going forward, jog, run, swim or walk sideways and backwards too.
“Do you know a good fitness club in Little Italy I could start going to?”
Finding a good fitness club that checks all the boxes can be tricky, but, this time, it really isn’t, not when Fit is here! We’ve created a perfect atmosphere for fitness in Little Italy, and our experienced staff is there to help you take your first steps. So, if you’re ever at Piazza Basilone, stop by our place and see what we’re about. We know you’ll love it!
Subscribe To The Fit Blog
Monthly articles for a Fit lifestyle, straight to your inbox.