Personal Training 101: The Ins and Outs of Having a Personal Trainer
Personal trainers are the expert consultants of the fitness world. They’ve thoroughly studied different training approaches, worked with hundreds of clients, and tested countless diets to determine what works best.
Needless to say, getting personal training in San Diego is a tried-and-true way to take your workouts to the next level, regardless of whether your goal is to lose weight, build muscle, or prepare for an athletic competition.
But how do personal trainers do this? What exactly happens when you hire one and show up for your first training session? How will your personal trainer ensure you achieve your desired fitness results? Keep reading to find out!
What should I expect from a personal trainer?
Most people in the US live busy lives that leave them with very little free time and energy, especially during workdays. This makes it difficult for them to keep up with a strict training regimen (2-4 workouts per week), especially if they’ve never exercised regularly in the past.
A good personal trainer is fully aware of this fact, and knows exactly how to motivate a client and keep them accountable without being too pushy or making them feel bad about themselves. They do this by getting to know you as a person and creating a personalized training plan that fits your goals.
Here’s how a typical first personal training session goes:
- Your trainer will first deal with the paperwork and understand what you’re like and what your goals are.
- They’ll want to know about any health conditions or injuries you might’ve that may affect which exercises you can do.
- Finally, they’ll try to get a better sense for your current fitness level by having you perform basic exercises such as squats, lunges, and kettlebell swings.
What does a good personal trainer do?
Like all serious professionals, quality personal trainers strive to make sure their clients are satisfied and that their needs are met. They will not only guide your workouts, but also provide you with a comprehensive diet plan that realistically fits your lifestyle.
Some of the things personal trainers do include:
- Examining your goals. A fitness expert can help you determine if your goals are achievable in your desired time frame or even possible to begin with.
- Assessing your current regimen. They will first determine if your current program is optimal and look for ways to further tweak or change it to make it more effective for you.
- Teaching you. They will show you the right exercises and explain how to do them properly. Furthermore, they will dispel common fitness misconceptions that may be holding you back.
- Keeping you motivated. Your personal trainer wants you to succeed, and will do all they can to keep you on the right track. They also won’t let you slack off during training, thus ensuring much better results in the long run.
- Preventing injury. By closely watching you as you train, a personal trainer can immediately correct bad form. This will not only stop you from injuring yourself, but also make your workouts more effective.
Where can I book first-rate personal training in San Diego?
Here at Fit Athletic, we know that the environment you train in is just as important for your motivation and success as the specific exercises you perform. That’s why we’ve created the very finest gyms in San Diego that have everything you need to stay in shape.
We’re especially proud of our facility in the East Village area of Downtown San Diego. In addition to top-quality training equipment, outdoor cardio deck, and various fitness and yoga classes, this gym also features a rooftop hot tub and pool, as well as a tanning and massage service. Get in touch with us today!
Subscribe To The Fit Blog
Monthly articles for a Fit lifestyle, straight to your inbox.